Microplastics in our Drinking Water

The latest UN report reveals we are all drinking microplastics in water, and these bacteria may carry bacteria into our bodies.

According to the latest report from the World Health Organisation, there has been very little research done to date, that has looked at the effects of microplastics in the drinking water on our health.

The World Health Organisation report on the microplastics in drinking water is the most up-to-date research on the amount microplastics in our water, and the effects the microplatics and the bacteria they carry can potentially have on our wellbeing. Microplastics may carry disease-causing bacteria and help bacteria become resistant to antibiotics.

Microplastics are the tiny plastic particles measuring less than five millimetres (0.2 inches). They have previously been detected in marine water, wastewater, fresh water, food, air and drinking-water, both bottled and tap water.

Now, for the first time, WHO has examined the potential human health impacts of exposure to microplastics in our drinking water.

According to the research, the smallest microplastics particles can be adsorbed into our organs. The larger particles, however, which are bigger than 150 micrometres, are most likely to be eliminated by our bodies without causing much harm.

The report recommends that drinking-water suppliers and regulators make it a priority to remove potentially harmful bacteria and chemicals from the water supply. Microplastics will also be removed by such processes.

The home water treatment systems are very effective at removing the bacteria and microplastics from the drinking water in your home. Contact us for an independent expert advice on drinking water systems and drinking water filters in your home or business.

Up to 90 per cent of microplastics can be removed via commonly-used water treatment methods. We can recommend a water treatment systems for your home for your individual requirements and budget. Contact our water treatment experts today.